Welcome to my blog!

UPDATE: Mediafire have suspended my account and locked my downloads. Having endured the tedium of re-uploading everything I had previously hosted on Mega Upload onto Mediafire earlier this year, I can't be arsed re-uploading everything again.

So please don't ask for things to be reuploaded!

I undertake this venture knowing that I don't have the spare time to do it, but feel that these artists NEED TO BE HEARD (please excuse my shouting!). Or is that I think I need to be heard? Or that there are (or have been) some great music blogs that have inspired me to wanna jump on the bandwagon? Probably all of the above??I hope you enjoy the blog. If I turn one person onto these bands that turned me on then it will all have been worth it!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Smashing Pumpkins - 1992

I first heard the Smashing Pumpkins around the time of their debut album, Gish. While that album was derivative, lacking in variation (apart from the gorgeous Rhinoceros), and inferior to the releases from the trailblazers of the alternative rock universe (Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Faith No More, etc.), there was a nagging voice in the back of my head that said watch this space.

The first vindication of this feeling was the Peel Sessions EP. Girl Named Sandoz and Smiley both have a relaxed playfulness and confidence absent from Gish, and represent a large step forward, both vocally and musically. Girl Named Sandoz, a mid-paced rocker with a subtle groove, is a cover of an obscure The Animals B-side, and the band deserve kudos for selecting it and making it their own. Smiley is a pleasant slow tempo acoustic guitar based song.

The follow-up single I am One ups the ante. Plume has a slow groove, with a fantastic sludge guitar sound. Starla is a mellow mid-paced song, with excellent dynamics and long rambling instrumental sessions. Both songs have a psychedelic feel without the need for instrumentation other bands use to try and sound psychedelic.

The final vindication was Drown, from the Singles soundtrack. This song is in a similar vein to Starla, with a subdued start, slow build, and some tasteful harmony guitars, before dropping back down at the half way point, with some atmospheric guitar solos and feedback drenched in reverb.

These songs led to huge expectations for the next album. However, Siamese Dream was a let down. It had it's moments (Cherub Rock, Disarm), but as a cohesive whole it didn't work. The follow-up, the sprawling double CD Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, was an improvement, as the songs were more concise and direct. The next album, Adore, was so abhorrent I have avoided any further material like the plague!!

In my opinion, the Pumpkins peaked in 1992, your honour, and here is the evidence.....

Smashing Pumpkins - 1992 - Peel Sessions

MP3
FLAC


Smashing Pumpkins - 1992 - I am One (CDS)

MP3
FLAC


Smashing Pumpkins - 1992 - Drown (Singles OST)

MP3
FLAC

No comments:

Post a Comment