Welcome to my blog!

UPDATE: Mediafire have suspended my account and locked my downloads. Having endured the tedium of re-uploading everything I had previously hosted on Mega Upload onto Mediafire earlier this year, I can't be arsed re-uploading everything again.

So please don't ask for things to be reuploaded!

I undertake this venture knowing that I don't have the spare time to do it, but feel that these artists NEED TO BE HEARD (please excuse my shouting!). Or is that I think I need to be heard? Or that there are (or have been) some great music blogs that have inspired me to wanna jump on the bandwagon? Probably all of the above??I hope you enjoy the blog. If I turn one person onto these bands that turned me on then it will all have been worth it!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dirty Three - Sad and Dangerous


Dirty Three are a three piece instrumental band from Melbourne, Australia. They are perhaps best known as the band from which Bad Seed/Grinderman violinist/guitarist Warren Ellis came to prominence, and to a lesser extent for their collaborations with Low.

I was fortunate enough to see the band in their early days at the Tivoli Hotel in Adelaide. The Tivoli was  a 200 person capacity dive where I saw many great artists, such as G. W. McLennan, Kristin Hersh and Pavement with Gary Young - though Gary didn't stand out the front of the venue handing out spaghetti like he reputedly did at other gigs! My old band Lucid Ocean also played the Tivoli, and were shafted by the venue management - further confirming my prejudices that the music industry is run by scum-sucking parasitic leaches! But I digress.....Dirty Three's gig was as memorable for the music as it was for Warren's stream of consciousness and meandering stage banter. In fact, being an instrumental band, Warren's microphone was only there for the purposes of between song banter.

Dirty Three's debut album Sad and dangerous was apparently given away as a free cassette at their gigs. It was recorded over the course of two years. The album is not for impatient listeners - the songs evolve sloooooooooowly, sometimes over the course of 10 minutes, but there are rewards for those prepared to put in the effort.

Dirty Three - 1995 - Sad and Dangerous

1. Kim's Dirt
2. Killy Kundane
3. Jaguar
4. Devil In The Hole
5. Jim's Dog
6. Short Break
7. Turk Reprise
8. You Were A Bum Dream
9. Warren's Waltz
10. Turk

FLAC Pt1, FLAC Pt2
MP3

4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    My name is Lucy and I'd like to say I find your blog very interesting.
    On one hand, thanks for dedicating this post to my favourite band. I totally agree with you: Some bands are so underestimate... DT are one of 'em; But I also have to say the amount of DT's followers is "growing" faster since facts like after Nick Cave's collaboration, the album with Low and those soundtracks made by Ellis & Cave, such like ''The Assassination of Jesse James'' or ''The Road''.

    Anyway, sorry I've just met your blog few minutes ago... I feel sorry about your two last entries, because I think it's normal you got dissapointed without the feedback this blog deserves. Thanks for your effort during this year! In my opinion, mission accomplished ;)

    I'm also screwed with that Megaupload strategy. Even more now I've discovered this album you have here, with invalid links. Is is possible to upload it within a different server? I really would love to have it! I can upload another one for you in return. Maybe I have something in my iTunes or disco library you may be interested in, as a gratitude gesture back :)
    my email's laschicasquesaliandeunatarta@gmail.com

    Thanks in advance and sorry for my mistakes in the text. I'm from Spain and my English is getting rusty lately :S

    Greetings,

    Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy, thanks for your kind comments. I'll will try to upload this album on Mediafire in the next week - stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy, the new links are now available....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Great!! Thanks a lot, my friend! Greetings from the other side of the world!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete